- Liu XiaoJuan
- Associate Professor,
- Biodiversity and Biosafety Group
- State Key Laboratory of Vegetation and Environmental Change
- Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Research Interest:
- Tel: 010-62836051 FAX: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professional Qualification
- Research Activity
2006-2012 Ph.D., Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China 2002-2006 B.A., Colleague of Forestry, Beijing Forestry University, Beijing, China
2018-pres. Associate professor, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
2012-2018 Assistant professor, Institute of Botany, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China
2015-2016 Visiting scientist, Department of Biology, University of Maryland, U.S.A
2013-2015 Postdoctoral researcher, Institute of Evolutionary Biology and Environmental Studies,
University of Zurich, Switzerland
2019- pres. Associate editor, Journal of Ecology
My current research focus is understanding the mechanisms of biodiversity maintenance and biodiversity and ecosystem functioning at multiple scales based on functional traits. I am particularly interested in:
1) Tree demographic rates (growth and survival)
2) Biodiversity and ecosystem functioning
3) Functional traits distribution at large scale
1. Bongers, F. J., B. Schmid, W. Durka, S. Li, H. Bruelheide, C. Z. Hahn, H. Yan, K.P. Ma* and X.J. Liu*. 2020. Genetic richness affects trait variation but not community productivity in a tree diversity experiment. New Phytologist. 227:744-756.
2. Bongers, F. J., B. Schmid, Z. Sun, Y. Li, W. Hardtle, G. von Oheimb, Y. Li, S. Li, M. Staab, K.P. Ma* and X.J. Liu*. 2020. Growth–trait relationships in subtropical forest are stronger at higher diversity. Journal of Ecology 108:256-266.
3. Chen, L., Y. Wang, X. Mi, X.J. Liu, H. Ren, J. Chen, K. Ma, and N. J. B. Kraft. 2019. Neighborhood effects explain increasing asynchronous seedling survival in a subtropical forest. Ecology 100:e02821.
4. Li, Y., W. K. Bao, F. Bongers, B. Chen, G. K. Chen, K. Guo, M. X. Jiang, J. S. Lai, D. M. Lin, C. J. Liu, X. J. Liu, Y. Liu, X. C. Mi, X. J. Tian, X. H. Wang, W. B. Xu, J. H. Yan, B. Yang, Y. R. Zheng, and K. P. Ma. 2019. Drivers of tree carbon storage in subtropical forests. Science of the Total Environment 654:684-693.
5. Li, Y., H. Bruelheide, T. Scholten, B. Schmid, Z. K. Sun, N. L. Zhang, W. S. Bu, X. J. Liu, and K. P. Ma. 2019. Early positive effects of tree species richness on soil organic carbon accumulation in a large-scale forest biodiversity experiment. Journal of Plant Ecology 12:882-893.
6. Liu, X.J., S. Trogisch, J.-S. He, P. A. Niklaus, H. Bruelheide, Z. Tang, A. Erfmeier, M. Scherer-Lorenzen, K. A. Pietsch, B. Yang, P. Kühn, T. Scholten, Y. Huang, C. Wang, M. Staab, K. N. Leppert, C. Wirth, B. Schmid, and K. Ma. 2018. Tree species richness increases ecosystem carbon storage in subtropical forests. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 285: 20181240.
7. Huang, Y., Y. Chen,..., X.J. Liu,..., H. Bruelheide, K. Ma, P. A. Niklaus, and B. Schmid. 2018. Impacts of species richness on productivity in a large-scale subtropical forest experiment. Science 362:80-83.
8. Schuldt, A.,..., X.J. Liu,...H. Bruelheide. 2018. Biodiversity across trophic levels drives multifunctionality in highly diverse forests. Nature Communications 9.2989.
9. Han, B. C., M. N. Umana, X. C. Mi, X.J. Liu, L. Chen,..., and K. P. Ma. 2017. The role of transcriptomes linked with responses to light environment on seedling mortality in a subtropical forest, China. Journal of Ecology 105:592-601.
10. Umana, M. N.,..., X.J. Liu,... N. G. Swenson. 2017. The role of functional uniqueness and spatial aggregation in explaining rarity in trees. Global Ecology and Biogeography 26:777-786.
11. Ma, K. P., J. S. He, H. Bruelheide, A. M. Klein, X.J. Liu, and B. Schmid. 2017. Biodiversity-ecosystem functioning research in Chinese subtropical forests. Journal of Plant Ecology 10:1-3.
12. Bu, W. S., B. Schmid, X.J. Liu, Y. Li, W. Hardtle, G. von Oheimb, Y. Liang, Z. K. Sun, Y. Y. Huang, H. Bruelheide, and K. P. Ma. 2017. Interspecific and intraspecific variation in specific root length drives aboveground biodiversity effects in young experimental forest stands. Journal of Plant Ecology 10:158-169.
13. Sun, Z., X.J. Liu, B. Schmid, H. Bruelheide, W. S. Bu, and K. P. Ma. 2017. Positive effects of tree species richness on fine-root production in a subtropical forest in SE-China. Journal of Plant Ecology 10:146-157.
14. Trogisch, S.,..., X.J. Liu, ... H. Bruelheide. 2017. Toward a methodical framework for comprehensively assessing forest multifunctionality. Ecology and Evolution 7:10652-10674.
15. Liu, X.J., N. G. Swenson, D. Lin, X. Mi, M. N. Uma?a, B. Schmid, and K. Ma. 2016. Linking individual-level functional traits to tree growth in a subtropical forest. Ecology 97:2396-2405.
16. Liu, X.J., and K. Ma. 2015. Plant Functional Traits—Concepts, Applications and Future Directions. Scientia Sinica Vitae 45:325-339 (In Chinese with English abstract).
17. Bruelheide, H.,..., X.J. Liu,..., K. P. Ma, and B. Schmid. 2014. Designing forest biodiversity experiments: general considerations illustrated by a new large experiment in subtropical China. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 5:74-89.
18. Nadrowski, K.,..., X.J. Liu,...C. Wirth. 2014. Tree Species Traits but Not Diversity Mitigate Stem Breakage in a Subtropical Forest following a Rare and Extreme Ice Storm. Plos One 9(5): e96022
19. Liu, X.J., N. G. Swenson, J. L. Zhang, and K. P. Ma. 2013. The environment and space, not phylogeny, determine trait dispersion in a subtropical forest. Functional Ecology 27:264-272.
20. Nadrowski, K.,..., X.J. Liu,..., C. Wirth. 2013. Harmonizing, annotating and sharing data in biodiversity–ecosystem functioning research. Methods in Ecology and Evolution 4:201-205.
21. Zhang, J., N. G. Swenson, S. Chen, X.J. Liu, Z. Li, J. Huang, X. Mi, and K. Ma. 2013. Phylogenetic beta diversity in tropical forests: Implications for the roles of geographical and environmental distance. Journal of Systematics and Evolution 51:71-85.
22. Liu, X.J., N. G. Swenson, S. J. Wright, L. W. Zhang, K. Song, Y. J. Du, J. L. Zhang, X. C. Mi, H. B. Ren, and K. P. Ma. 2012. Covariation in Plant Functional Traits and Soil Fertility within Two Species-Rich Forests. Plos One 7(4): e34767
23. Swenson, N. G.,..., X.J. Liu,...,W. J. Kress. 2012. Phylogenetic and functional alpha and beta diversity in temperate and tropical tree communities. Ecology 93:S112-S125.
24. Du, Y. J., X. C. Mi, X.J. Liu, and K. P. Ma. 2012. The effects of ice storm on seed rain and seed limitation in an evergreen broad-leaved forest in east China. Acta Oecologica 39:87-93.
25. Du, Y. J., X. C. Mi, X.J. Liu, L. Chen, and K. P. Ma. 2009. Seed dispersal phenology and dispersal syndromes in a subtropical broad-leaved forest of China. Forest Ecology and Management 258:1147-1152.