1. Wang BL, Wei HF, Xue Z, Zhang WH* (2017). Gibberellins regulate iron deficiency-response by influencing iron transport and translocation in rice seedlings (Oryza sativa L.). Annals of Botany 119: 945-956
2. Bai WM, Zhou M, Fang Y, Zhang WH* (2017). Differences in spatial and temporal root lifespan of three Stipa grasslands in northern China. Biogeochemistry 132: 293-306.
3. Dai XY, Wang YY, Zhang WH. 2016. OsWRKY74, a WRKY transcription factor, modulates tolerance to phosphate starvation in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany, 67: 947-960.
4. Yang A, Zhang WH. 2016. A small GTPase, OsRab6a, is involved in the regulation of iron. Plant & Cell physiology, 57: 1271–1280.
5. Tian QY, Liu NN, Bai WM, Li LH, Chen JQ, Reich PB, Yu Q, Guo DL, Smith MD, Knapp AK, Cheng WX, Lu P, Gao Y, Yang A, Wang TZ, Li X, Wang ZW, Ma YB, Han XG, Zhang WH*. 2016. A novel soil manganese mechanism drives plant species loss with increased nitrogen deposition in a temperate steppe. Ecology, 97: 65-74.
6. Tian QY, Liu NN, Bai WM, Li LH, Zhang WH*. 2015. Disruption of metal ion homeostasis in soils is associated with nitrogen deposition-induced species loss in an Inner Mongolia steppe. Biogeosciences, 12: 3499–3512.
7. Yang A, Liu NN, TianQY, Bai WM, Mark W, Wang QB, Li LH, Zhang WH*. 2015. Rhizosphere bacterial communities of dominant steppe plants shift in response to a gradient of simulated nitrogen deposition. Frontiers in Microbiology, 6: 789.
8. Wang TZ, Liu M, Zhao MG, Chen RJ, Zhang WH*. 2015. Identification and characterization of long non-coding RNAs involved in osmotic and salt stress in Medicago truncatula using genome-wide high-throughput sequencing. BMC Plant Biology, 15: 131.
9. Wang BL, Li G, Zhang WH*. 2015. Brassinosteroids are involved in Fe homeostasis in rice (Oryza sativa L.). Journal of Experimental Botany, 66: 2749–2761.
10. Bai WM, Fang Y, Zhou M, Xie T, LI LH, Zhang WH*. 2015. Heavily intensified grazing reduces root production in an Inner Mongolia temperate steppe. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 200:143-150.
11. Liu M, Wang TZ, Zhang WH*. 2015. Sodium extrusion associated with enhanced expression of SOS1 underlies different salt tolerance between Medicago falcata and Medicago truncatula seedlings. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 110: 46-55.
12. Wang TZ, Tian QY, Wang BL, Zhao MG, Zhang WH*. 2014.Genome variations account for different response to three mineral elements between Medicago truncatula ecotypes Jemalong A17 and R108. BMC Plant Biology, 14: 122.
13. Tian QY, Zhang XX, Ramesh S, Gilliham M, Tyerman SD, Zhang WH*. 2014. Ethylene negatively regulated aluminum-induced malate efflux from wheat roots and tobacco cells transformed with TaALMT1. Journal of Experimental Botany, 65: 2415-2426.
14. Zhao MG, Liu WJ, Xia XZ, Wang TZ, Zhang WH*. 2014. Cold acclimation-induced freezing tolerance of Medicago truncatula seedlings is negatively regulated by ethylen. Physiologia Plantarum, 152:115-129.
15. Li G, Wang BL, Tian QY, Wang TZ, Zhang WH*. 2014. Medicago truncatula ecotypes A17 and R108 differed in their response to iron deficiency. Journal of Plant Physiology, 171: 639-647.
16. Gao Y, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2014. Systemic regulation of sulfur homeostasis in Medicago truncatula. Planta, 239: 79-96.
17. Yang A, Li YS, Xu YY, Zhang WH*. 2013. A receptor-like protein RMC is involved in regulation of iron acquisition in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany, 64: 5509-5020.
18. Tian QY, Zhang XX, Gao Y, Bai WM, Ge F, Ma YB, Zhang WH*. 2013. Wheat genotypes differing in aluminum tolerance differ in their growth response to CO2 enrichment in acid soils. Ecology and Evolution, 3:1440– 1448.
19. Wang TZ, Xia XZ, Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2013. Expression of a Medicago falcata small GTPase gene, MfARL1 enhanced tolerance to salt stress in Arabidopsis thaliana. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry, 63: 227-235.
20. Song SY, Dai XY, Zhang WH* 2012. A rice F-box gene, OsFbx352, is involved in glucose-delayed seed germination in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany, 63: 5559-5568.
21. Wang BL, Li YS, Zhang WH* 2012 Brassinosteroids are involved in response of cucumber (Cucumis sativus) to iron deficiency. Annals of Botany, 110: 681-688.
22. Song SY, Chen Y, Zhao MG, Zhang WH*. 2012. A novel Medicago truncatula HD-Zip gene, MtHB2, is involved in abiotic stress responses. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 80: 1–9.
23. Dai XY, Wang YY, Yang A, Zhang WH* .2012. OsMYB2P-1, a R2R3 MYB transcription factor, is involved in regulation of phosphate-starvation responses and root architecture in rice. Plant Physiology, 151:169-183.
24. Yang A, Dai XY, Zhang WH* .2012. A R2R3-type MYB gene, OsMYB2, is involved in salt, cold, and dehydration tolerance in rice. Journal of Experimental Botany, 63: 2541-2556.
25. Chen L, Wang TZ, Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2012. Identification of aluminum-responsive microRNAs in Medicago truncatula by genome-wide high-throughput sequencing. Planta, 235: 375–386.
26. Wang TZ, Chen L, Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2011. Identification of drought-responsive microRNAs in Medicago truncatula by genome-wide high-throughput sequencing. BMC Genomics, 12,367.
27. Zhang LL, Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2011. Comparative studies on tolerance of Medicago truncatula and Medicago falcata to freezing. Planta. 234:445-457.
28. Song SY, Chen Y, Chen J, Dai XY, Zhang WH*. 2011. Physiological mechanisms underlying OsNAC5-dependent tolerance of rice plants to abiotic stress. Planta, 234: 331-345.
29. Li YS, Gao Y, Tian QY, Shi FL. Li LH, Zhang WH*. 2010. Stimulation of root acid phosphatase by phosphorus deficiency is regulated by ethylene in Medicago falcata. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 71: 114-120.
30. Chang CS, Wang BL, Shi L, Li YX, Duo LA, Zhang WH*. 2010. Alleviation of salt stress-induced inhibition of seed germination in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) by ethylene and glutamate. Journal of Plant Physiology, 167:1152-1156.
31. Miao BH, Han XG, Zhang WH*. 2010. Ameliorative effect of silicon on soybean seedlings grown in potassium deficient medium. Annals of Botany, 105:967-973.
32. Wang BL, Shi L, Li YX, Zhang WH*. 2010. Boron toxicity is alleviated by hydrogen sulfide in cucumber (Cucumis sativus L.) seedlings. Planta, 231:1301-1309.
33. Sun P, Tian QY, Chen J, Zhang WH*. 2010. Aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Arabidopsis is mediated by ethylene and auxin. Journal of Experimental Botany, 61:347-356.
34. Tian QY, Sun P, Zhang WH* 2009. Ethylene is involved in mediating nitrate-dependent root branching in Arabidopsis. New Phytologist, 184: 918-931.
35. Zhao MG, Chen L. Zhang LL, Zhang WH* 2009. Nitrate reductase-mediated nitric oxide production is involved in cold acclimation and freezing tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, 151: 755-767.
36. Li YS, Mao XT, Tian QY, Li LH, Zhang WH* 2009. Phosphorus deficiency -induced reduction in root hydraulic conductivity is mediated by ethylene in Medicago falcata. Environmental and Experimental Botany, 67: 172-177.
37. Zhang WH, Ryan PR, Sasaki T, Yamamoto Y, Sullivan W, Tyerman SD. 2008. Characterization of the TaALMT1 protein as an Al3+-activated anion channel in transformed tobacco (Nicotiana tabacum L.) cells. Plant and Cell Physiology, 49: 1316-1330.
38. Sun P, Tian QY, Zhao MG, Dai XY, Li LH, Huang JH, Zhang WH*. 2007. Aluminum-induced ethylene production is associated with inhibition of root elongation in Lotus japonicus L. Plant and Cell Physiology, 48: 1229-1235.
39. Zhao DY, Tian QY, Li LH, Zhang WH*. 2007. Nitric oxide is involved in nitrate-induced inhibition of root elongation in Zea mays L. Annals of Botany, 100: 497-503.
40. Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2007. Nitric oxide synthase–dependent nitric oxide production is associated with salt tolerance in Arabidopsis. Plant Physiology, 144: 206-217.
41. Zhang WH, Zhou Y, Dibley KE, Tyerman SD, Furbank RT, Patrick JW. 2007. Nutrient loading of developing seeds. Functional Plant Biology, 34: 314-331.
42. Zhao MG, Tian QY, Zhang WH*. 2007. Ethylene activates a plasma membrane Ca2+-permeable channel in tobacco cells. New Phytologist, 174: 507-515.
43. Tian QY, Sun DH, Zhao MG, Zhang WH*. 2007. Inhibition of nitric oxide synthase (NOS) underlies aluminum-induced inhibition of root elongation in Hibiscus moscheutos L. New Phytologist, 174: 322-331.